25 October, 2008

brainstorm, bounce, refine...repeat.

Recognizing my design process has been a bit of a challenge. I don't know if I follow the same steps for each project...but it does seem that almost every project turns out completely different than my first draft of ideas. Thinking about it, I can break it down to three words: brainstorm, bounce, refine.

My initial brainstorming sessions usually involve breaking down the parameters of the project and researching the needed materials. I'll come up with a broad idea of what I want to do, create some sketches, then bounce my ideas off other people.

Lately I've been relying on my peers for advice on my designs, much more than I used to. Maybe it's because I'm surrounded by designers now and wasn't before? I don't know.

I take the suggestions I've received and refine my ideas and designs. And that brings me back to brainstorming. I repeat the process a number of times–lately, it's been like a broken record. This usually repeats itself over and over, until the deadline is upon me, lord knows I won't finish early.

Brainstorm, bounce, refine.

And repeat.



No comments: